Thursday, April 13, 2006

Jon-Jon Cometh!

The kid to the left, practicing the innocent look that would save his bacon innumerable times, is yours truly at the age of two. My older sons like to tease me about that old photo - ("Damn Dad! Were you in training to be a little Farrakhan or something? Did you sell bean pies, too?") My sons have a warped sense of humor. They also have remarkably similar features, although there is only one common parent between the four of them.

Jonathan Jerome Anderson is the little tyke to the lower right, finishing up a good cry after his first bath, which was clearly unappreciated. He's now five years old and I just found out he will be here tomorrow, along with his mother. The phone call was interesting when his mother (Teresa) called to tell me of their arrival.

Um, where will y'all be staying, with Evelyn? Teresa and Jon-Jon had crashed at my niece's crib during past visits, to mutual convenience. I was hoping that the arrangement was still good, because my apartment is too small for guests and I was certain she didn't have enough money to get a hotel room - the visit was too spontaneous. "We'll be staying with Barbara," she said.

A goose walked over my grave. Teresa and Barbara are the two 'baby mammas' (among the five that plague me!) with whom I have the least cordial rapport. The idea of the two of them commiserating about whatever for a full weekend gives me a mild case of the heebie-jeebies.
Nonetheless, I am very excited about seeing my youngest child this weekend - I miss him terribly.

I'm also looking forward to seeing JJ interact with BJ: Brandon Jeremy Anderson, Jr. BJ is my four-month-old grandson and JJ's nephew. Jonathan has met only one other family member younger than himself, to my knowledge. I'm curious to see whether he will look at his tiny nephew as a rival or someone to be protected.

That's BJ to the left. As active and lucid as his father, uncles and grandfather all were. These are the young males I hope to super-prepare for the world so that they may bring gifts cultural and genetic to Humanity at large. Future artists, thinkers, warriors, leaders. I was tempted to put up pictures of my remaining sons, Willis James Anderson III, Brandon Jeremy Anderson (Sr.) and Kahlil Jibran Anderson This weekend will be a welcoming time of renewing ties, strengthening bonds.

And the prospect of growing old acquires a sweetness that was hoped for, but only half-expected.

Look out world! Jon-Jon cometh! The Clan Jahaka is rising.