Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Nothing to be Nervous About...

Usually, getting on the mic in front of people doesn't bother me in the least. I relish it. My heart pumps icewater and nerves never enter the equation. That is, except for times like tonight...

In about 90 minutes, I'm going to open the mic on a new venture at the Baobab Cultural Center on Gregory Street (right above the German House, in case anyone is interested in joining us - there's a five dollar cover.) New venues always get to me a little bit.

"Jahaka, this is your house. Say it!" Those were the words Sam Guzman used to help me shake the shakes when I hosted my first open mic venue, three years ago at Studio One. Sam created a monster, because I've always felt where ever I hosted was (" 'my fucking house' - say it!") my own, so nervousness simply wasn't a factor. I was no more nervous than would be a housewife entertaining an encyclopedia salesperson.

Okay, tonight is NOT different, Jahaka. You were recruited heavily by these people - they've been begging your ass to do this for months. They wanted to give you half the gate (I refused) just to make it harder to say no.

Not only that, but you're Jahaka By-God Mindstorm and this is what you do. So stop bitching, put on that hat, and move your ass.

Okay, I'm cool now... there's nothing to be nervous about.

Shit -- I'm in Mindstorm Mode, baby!