Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Good Start

Naw, I wasn't nervous at the Baobab tonight - there was really no one there but the organizers. And they were, of course, very warm and attentive. I think they would have really let me go on until 11 pm, pretty much as a solo act, had I so desired. Almost did desire - it was fun!

I had been reading a lot from the last two SeptaVerse chapters when Baobab brainchild Moka asked: "But Jahaka, don't you have anything Romantic?" Of course! Hey Aisha! This is what your fiance would say to you if he were a poet...

And so I reeled off Mind Sex (for you!) and a few other pieces from the EROS booklet, which seemed to satisfy Mr. Moka quite well. It satisfied me too, because as I spit every stanza, every line; I thought of you. Maybe you were thinking of me also, because I seemed to feel your presence, a comfort.

Times like that, I don't have to hang around the mental shallows, feel me? I can strike out for the emotional depths without fear. If somebody twisted my arm and forced me to be honest with myself, I might admit how that mental shit is sometimes a crutch. Might. But if you kissed my forehead and whispered your desire to know, I would empty my soul. Would.

Guess it's all a matter of motivation.

Yeah, it was a good night, a good start. At such an early juncture, and considering that the subjects are such positive people, it's easy to surmise that the best is yet to come. Good, meaty optimism to sustain us through the lean times.

A good start. Only thing I'm missing is you.