Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Simply Amazing

Couldn't sleep last night - felt compelled to work. I mean really compelled, and ultimately I wrote and posted two articles, updated my web site and email addresses, scanned and formated about two dozen images and read four chapters of a novel. The sun was rising just as I was setting.

(Now understand why I'm feeling so tired.)

Well, I thought I'd check my email before rolling over for forty winks when ... well I'll be dipped in sheepshit and rolled in Charmin! Teresa finally sent the pictures she took of BJ during her visit here with my youngest son. Well, let's see what we've got:

Isn't it amazing how pictures can almost transport you right back to the moment? I love that shit, man!


Jon-Jon was crazy about his nephew from first sight. Couldnt stay away from him, wanted to keep him in his arms. Bless his heart - he even wanted to carry my grandson, although that was certainly not allowed. Good intentions or not, the rule is safety first, of course.

Basketball playoffs were on, so we guys got to watch TV while the ladies went shopping. It was really cool. I was reorganizing the poetry in my performance book and my older sons were heavy into the game. Jon-Jon just kept staring at his tiny nephew in amazement. (For his part, BJ was trying to eat anything that came within a foot of his mouth.)

Yep, a typical non-working (Good Friday) afternoon for three generations of American Males. The added spice was being able to see my son in the role of father (while still retaining uber-paternal veto power - did I mention this grandparenting thing is really fun?) Naturally, yours truly got a little time in with the Little Prince too. It could be no other way and you can refer back to the uber-parent statement if you so need.


Later that evening was the open mic at Julius Cafe and I was delighted when Brandon brought the crew down for the show. I knew I had another performance the following day and Jon-Jon was going back to Brooklyn Easter Sunday, before I got off of work and I wasn't sure I'd see him again before their departure. (He and his mom actually stayed until late Sunday night, so I got to see my 5-year-old one last time and even to have dinner with him before he left.)

Ya know, that little pileup of humanity represents some of the most important people in the world to me. The photo itself puts many lesser things in perspective, and at a much-needed time. Sometimes life is simply overwhelming. Other times it's simply amazing.

Now we got 17-year-old Lindsay graduating from Lawrence High School in Indianapolis in two weeks. Naturally, Dad plans to be there to support and honor her.

Can you say: "Road Trip!"?